SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Ericson or Irwin

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  GeoffE 
#1 ·
Hi,

I''m seriously considering purchasing either a ''78 Ericson 34T, ''76 Irwin 33 MKII or ''71 Irwin Classic 38.

Does anyone have any input on either of these boats? Good or bad? Other than having fun I''d like to know what I would be getting in to with either of these boats.

Regards,

Geoff

#3 ·
Thanks Mclion71,

Is this because of past experience with these boats and issues you had or just solid general advice?

On the same topic. Is there a website one can go to find good people to survey a boat? I won''t be able to get one of the local people I know here to do it.

Regards,

Geoff

#4 ·
I owned and cruised for 5 years aboard an Irwin. While the boat served our needs and we knew the original owner (he kept the boat in emaculate condition) I would caution you. Irwins, in general, are not the best built boats out there. What price range, age, etc are you looking for?

bob-m

#5 ·
Actually it''s both. I once had a deposit on an Irwin 32.5 Center Cockpit. After the Surveyor spent 8 hours looking her over, he saved me from buying a disaster. I then used the same guy on 2 other boats that I bought. He did a great job all 3 times.
If your surveyor doesn''t spend a whole day going over the boat from stem to stern, above, below and in every nook & cranny, he''s not being thorough. If he doesn''t produce a highly detailed, multiple page report with his findings, he wasted his time and your money.
Find yourslef a good guy!
I can recommend one who works the East Coast if you like.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone,

It''s a ''71 Classic 38 (aft cockpit) and the asking price is around 23K.

bob-m, when you say not the best built boats. What did they not do well when building them?

Funny. I''ve raced boats for 10+ yrs. but this is the first time I''ve started the process of buying one......what a difference and learning curve! Used to only have to make them go fast...now...?????

Mclion71, I may take you up on your offer. I''m awaiting answers to some questions on the 38 and then will decide whether to proceed with a survey.

Geoff

#7 ·
I apologize for not being more specific. I am NOT saying that they are bad boats. We loved ours, but I have always been of the opinion that their overall construction was below that of a Pearson, Tartan or C&C or Sabre. Again, this is just a very general observation. I believe that the original price for Irwins were at the lower end of the scale. This was not because Irwin was a brilliant business man.

Things to look for: leaks at hull/deck, stantions, and chain plates. Original ports were cheap (but most have probably been replaced), deteriation of rudder post, steering assembly was undersized on ours, original running rigging undersized. Method of fastening interior joinery was marginal. A good surveyor will be aware of other items.

There are just as many positive things to be said about Irwins. Have you checked under Sail-nets "Boat Check".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.