SailNet Community - View Single Post - Documenting Experience for Licensing
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2003

bob_walden is on a distinguished road
Documenting Experience for Licensing

Hi all;

For those of you who have applied for either 6-pack or master''s licensing in last few years: what do you actually have to show the USCG to document your experience?

I''ve recently decided to log everything so I can apply for a license when I qualify. I''m recording most of the logs on my computer for trips I do on my own (actually, club-owned) boats. I log anything over 4 hours as a day, but only 1 per 24 hour period, as per USCG rules. Have not done any watch standing per se, so the 1.5 rule hasn''t applied yet.

I also crew on a race boat and have done some crewed charters. In the latter case, I had the skipper of the boat sign off my sailing log, since it was 5 days of sailing time. But all the rest of my time has nobody "witnessing" it, except the racing.

6-pack needs 360 days; master''s near-coastal 720. At the rate I''m going, I''ll log 360 in about 4 years (sigh.)

My logs record date, start/end locaitons, boat name & type, crew position, skipper name if not me. Anything else I should be logging?

Thanks;

Bob Walden
bob@bobwalden.com
Corte Madera, CA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook