SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living aboard? Where to start?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2003

DEBSKIDMORE is on a distinguished road
Living aboard? Where to start?

Hello. My husband and I are newbies to sailing, especially since we live inland. People here say "sailboats, what''s a sailboat?" We have taken numerous ASA classes and have chartered in the BVI area on several occassions. We have decided to retire within the next 1-2 years and live onboard and cruise for the next dozen or so years. We will be buying a 43-47 foot boat, new or almost new. We won''t be paying for slip space, nor mooring balls, nor eating out every night. We are basically quiet people who enjoy watching nature and enjoy our own company (meaning we just don''t need "night Life entertainment"). My husband is pretty handy with minor repairs and I"m sure he will keep the boat in tip top shape as he does our house. With that in mind, what are you live aboards spending a month or year, including maintenance/repairs (the major ones that you have to purchase parts/replacements) on average? Does anyone keep track of their expenditures realistically? I''ve read back over some of the posts and saw $500 as a figure but was looking for more responses and feed back, please. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook