SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ranger 23'' $3500??
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2003

trm is on a distinguished road
Ranger 23'''' $3500??

Being a temporary "landlocked" sailor I have "caught" the fever again to purchase a sailboat. I used to sail small 10'' sailboats and loved it! I now have the oppurtunity to purchase a 23'' Ranger & need some advice please.
The Ranger 23 I test sailed today seemed to be a nice boat in fair condition. She needs some TLC but seems to be in fair shape. Comes complete with a handheld waterproof vhf radio, nice (extendable) trailer, <1 yr old force 4 four cycle outboard, spare sails, porta-potty, all the riggings. Needs repainted badly, seems to have no blisters anywhere on hull, some rust around keel bolts, handles pretty good! I had her tipped enough for water to come over the sides & she still handled great!
Seller tells me there is no finer boat for the money ($3500.00) avail. anywhere. Since I know little about current sailboats I thought I would elicit your opinion here.
I would like to use her for my training & then take her to Texas & sail around the coast all the way up to Canada. Am I looking at too small of a boat for this journey? Seller told me of a guy who sailed one to Austrilla(sp). Possible? Would this be the perfect "starter/training boat for me?
Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. I have been surfing Ebay & found several other boats much cheaper but really have no idea what I am looking at.
Thanks!
trmorrow@juno.com
405-821-4903
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook