SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rum enjoyment

74K views 319 replies 152 participants last post by  RegisteredUser 
#1 ·
Hello all,

This is sort of a follow up to the cans v bottles post. When on the boat what is everyone's favorite way to drink rum? I typically drink mt gay with tonic or gosling's dark and stormy's. I have a few plastic tumblers to avoid breakage but spilling is still an issue. I'll bring beer when fishing, for simplicity but rum is definitely my first choice. What are your thoughts?

#32 ·
Hey Ian-

How was carnivale... and did you get the mast fitting upgraded.

#33 · (Edited)
Hey Dog, yep, got the masthead refitted with braces. From some of the input here on sailnet, I still have some concern that it'll last another 24 years, but I'm being very careful with the roller furler main, and am re-rigging the backstays.

Unfortunately, I was late getting out of La Paz so I missed most of the activity, just had to anchor in a volcano on Isla Todos Santos, only to say I did, and then got blasted at the Giggling Marlin in Los Muertos. The sail over was the best yet. 164 miles didn't have to touch the sails 4-6 kts all the way. Maybe I'll get to Carnival next year:)

Right now am heading back to La Paz, then up through the islands on the east coast of baja for the summer and to get out of the hurricane belt. Still looking for crew, my temp jumped off here in Mazatlan.

#38 ·
Any Rum

Any Rum in my margarita is better then Techila...I got so sick off techila so many times I cant even stand the smell of it any more...

#41 ·
Meyers Dark with either grapefruit juice (sounds bad, but is a surpisingly good mix, discovered in an emergency) or a mixture of orange and lime juice, both with a heavy float of Meyers D on top (can you tell I like Meyers Dark?). Or strait occaisionally on ice (don't like the term "on the rocks" when on the boat). I've read here of Dark and Stormy, are they made with dark rum? Can't seem to find g. beer around here to try it, is it really a beer or a soft drink?

John

#51 ·
Ginger beer is a real beer, brewed with malts, hops and ginger and fermented with brewer's yeast. Gingerale is the sodapop soft drink made popular by Schwepps and Canada Dry.
The ginger beer commonly used in Dark and Stormies is non-alcoholic. Berritt's G.B. is the most familiar in the Dark and Stormie, and it is non-alcoholic. Yes, ginger beer can be made with residual alcohol -- so it can go both ways. :)

#45 ·
Any body ever get a 'Grog' at Prussers in the BVI? I loved it but can't replicate it at home.
Before you send recipe's I've tried about a half dozen and they don't do the trick.
Originally it was just rum (all dark in those days) sugar, water and maybe lime.

#48 · (Edited)
Any body ever get a 'Grog' at Prussers in the BVI? I loved it but can't replicate it at home.
Before you send recipe's I've tried about a half dozen and they don't do the trick.
Originally it was just rum (all dark in those days) sugar, water and maybe lime.
My wife's cousin is famous for this trick. She goes away to the islands, falls in love with a drink at whatever bar she first comes to then spends the vacation drinking at that bar. When she's out with friends back home she raves about the drink and by her second drink back home she's calling information to get the bar's number back in the island, then she calling the bar and asking the bartender how to make the drink. They tell her, but always tell her about some ingredient she can't get back home. Then she calls her liquor store who orders her the missing ingedient.

you should try it, the British will fall over themselves to help you replicate the grog.

#50 ·
American Grog
A Staple For Every Privateer
1 measure dark rum
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cloves
lemon juice
stick of cinnamon
Serve in mug. Top with hot water.
Navy Grog
1/2 oz Bacardi® light rum
1/2 oz Bacardi® gold rum
1/2 oz Bacardi® dark rum
1/2 oz Grand Marnier® orange liqueur
1 oz grapefruit juice
1 oz orange juice
1 oz pineapple juice
Pour liquors into an ice-filled collins glass. Add juices, shake, and garnish with an orange wedge and pineapple chunk.

source: International Talk Like A Pirate Day

Merely posted as I had no idea what a grog was other than I usually wake up groggy....but the second one is Chuck as I know he's a Navy Man! :rolleyes:

#53 ·
For drinking straight I like the Barbancourt 15 year, which is sort of funny since I do not like their 4 and 8 year much at all.

Prefer Jerry to Captain, just need to look out for that extra 10 proof.

A buddy of mine drinks Captain Willies Jerry and Coke with a squueze of line and a floater of Malibu. A can drink a few but I do not need to sweeten a rum and coke

#54 · (Edited)
Neat: Ron Zecapa Centenario, Pyrate XO, HC 7, Pampero, and on occasion Goslings

Dark and Stormy's preferably with Gosings, but other darks will do.

Mojitos with HC3, Pussers, or any other light you have around

Cuba Libre, hell what difference what kind you use if you put Coke and Lime in it.

As a bit of a cigar affcianado ( See my website ) I've also become a bit of a rumy. Rum is in fact the best drink to accompany a cigar.

Edit: To the neat list I would add the no longer in production Methusalem from Havana Club. Some friends of mine and a Cuban national slipped as many bottles as they could carry out the back of the Soviet Embassy one night in Havana. The rum is a fantastic 15yo, but the story is even better.

#56 ·
JEEEEZZZZZ..........
I would expect you sailors to be a little more "open-minded" when it came to MOUNT GAY............ you feelin' a little insecure about something, are ya?????
Had a few bottles of this stuff, will be buying more....

CAPTAIN MORGAN and Coke or Ginger.........

but we had a friend bring aboard the 7 year old NICARAGUAN RUM FLORA de Cana, and I must admit, I'll be picking up a couple of bottles of that stuff, VERY smooth!

And did I mention CAPTAIN MORGAN ?????? MY FAVORITE!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.