SailNet Community - View Single Post - Knock Downs
Thread: Knock Downs
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I sense that some of you feel Giu's story exaggerates a bit like some of the others above who claim knockdowns when their rail touches the water for the firstt time in 20 years of "sailing". Well I am here to tell you it is all true! I was was heaved to in my RV (which is a blue water RV...not a Catalina!) and making myself a nice Starbucks mocha latte from the 64 lb. stash of French Roast that we keep on board. Suddenly over the VHF I heard what seemed to be a little girl's voice screaming "Mayday Mayday...this is the sailing vessel Giulietta. I am taking on water and my boom is broken again and all my sheep have jumped ship. I cannot carry on in these conditions. My 1000 days at sea must end here...after 24 hours out of the sight of land!! Let Reid Stowe have the record. He may be able to survive on bean sprouts but I need my mutton!
So...I turned my RV around and went to the poor man's rescue and after removing his rather stained shorts and donning his dry Captain Faggo duds, I welcomed him aboard and scuttled his tin can of a boat and headed for Portugal where he promised me he would never again sail out of sight of land. And that my friends is how Giu became a racing sailor!
Here's the rescue vessel: