SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice Planning my first Long Distance Cruise
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
SGKuhner...good to see you back on line! Good luck with the rest of the trip and we hope to see you both at the docks in the fall!

Sidney777... my comment was made because of the conditions that will be faced going 700 miles to windward against the trade winds and seas in a modestly built coastal cruiser that is not designed for that type of work. I'm not saying it CAN'T be done..just will be much more uncomfortable and dangerous than most people would want. BTW...I like the C30 very much and at one point in our lives it was our dream boat...and I have sailed on them as well as owning two catalinas. I am referring specifically to THIS boat as being unsuitable for the trip...not all catalinas.
The Bahamas to the Turks and Caicos are easily do-able in a C30 with a competent crew. Once you have to turn the corner and head east in open water it is a different story. In MY boat we had to wait a full 30 days in the DR before conditions were benign enough to make progress to windward.
Note that the original writer said Domenica ...not the DR.