SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hunter, Catalina, and Beneteau''s 28-30'' or what?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2003
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Hunter, Catalina, and Beneteau''''s 28-30'''' or what?

My advice would be to first buy a good quality 23''-25'' and sail it for a year or two - you will learn a lot about what features are important and be better positioned for making and managing a bigger purchase.

In my opinion, Catalina is the Toyota of sailboats, and if that style fits for you, you won''t go wrong if you pay a premium price for a mint-condition boat. Keep away from "price" boats or fixer-uppers, as you haven''t yet the foggiest idea of how incredibly expensive repairs/replacements can be - understand that a "needs work" boat can easily be too expensive even if it were free...
Beneteau is a good quality boat, most models seem to lean towards performance at the cost of comfort - my 1986 First 305E had seven bunks but not one big enough for me (5''10"!) - nice performance but a lousy cruiser.
Many folks see Hunter as an entry level price boat with widely varying quality (between terrible and OK), you might look at:
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/hunter28.htm
to see how many mistakes can get packaged into only 28''. While this article slams this particular model, I think many of the issues that it raises are not unusual in other boats, and take experience for the buyer to recognize.

Good luck and happy sailing.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook