SailNet Community - View Single Post - Starting Battery - Yanmar 3GM
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 03-10-2008 Thread Starter
JohnRPollard

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
The starter is 1000watts and at 12V that is 83amps + some loss. Let's call it 90 amps of current. A 240MCA battery can sustain 240amps for 30 seconds before becoming TOTALLY dead. I think you will be cutting it very close with that battery especially since 3GM's have a rep for being difficult to start. Does yours take a while to get it to turn over?
If you want to try this....Sears has a Gold diehard garden tractor U1 size with 340CCA's (more stringent than MCA's) that may give you a bit more margin for error.
Okay, I sort of knew this answer was coming. Thanks for the feedback. I guess I won't share my idea to wire together 8 AAA Energizers!

No, our engine starts fairly easily (except in sub 40 F -- no glow plugs), but I still would not want to cut it that close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_L View Post
Take a look at the Lifeline AGM starter batteries:
Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle Batteries
32 lbs and 850cca Paul L
Paul, thanks for that link, I wasn't aware of that particular Lifeline starting battery. Dimensionally it's fairly close to the standard U1 form factor, but with a lot more output. Anyone tried this battery? Cam, thoughts? Our current Lifeline AGMs have given us great service.

Rockter, I'm at 55 amps (nominally) alt output with a 220-230 ah house bank already. But you're probably right, I normally won't be drawing this starting battery down like the house bank. Hopefully the larger size won't over tax the charging capability of the alternator..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome