SailNet Community - View Single Post - Senior Boaters
Thread: Senior Boaters
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008
Jon Held

jheldatksuedu is on a distinguished road
circumnavigation and the not retired person...

I'm 53 and planning on a 5-10 year circumnavigation, might be single handed but don't want it to be. I've got the boat a 45 steel ketch, busy working on it right now. You can see it all on my web site. The main hurdle I've got to overcome is selling the old boat a 38 Hughes, The boat market is real soft right now. It's a good blue water boat that I originally was going to start the trip in, till I found my dream boat, that I thought I might never be able to afford. I still want to get married and have kids, all on the boat, all while circumnavigating. I've got a farm in Kansas to retire too. I'm not retired, too young for that... just not working, also not getting paid, so money is real tight, but I get by. Life can be real inexpensive if you choose it to be on a boat. I row a dingy, ride a bike, and have a full machine shop on board. I salvage a lot of the stuff I need and love the thrift shops and bargain hunting. My ebay number is pretty high and climbing. I've bought all my big boats on there. I've always lived an adventurous life and been able to stretch a dollar real hard, and can jury rig fix just about anything.

As for things the retired boater needs, other than what's been mentioned that I agree with, I'd have to go with a young wife and kids to do all the work.... Just kidding.... I plan to have friends join me for legs of the trip, basically I don't want to sail alone, but have and feel I can with no problem. The main thing is the KISS principle, keep it simple, S....

See you on the water. I'm still working on the problem of a frieghter encounter when I'm trying to catch 40 winks and the self steering gear is busy doing it's thing. I'm real good at waking up just before the one hour alarm goes off, doing the watch and getting back to sleep in minutes. Jon

Last edited by jheldatksuedu; 03-11-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook