SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI, First Time
Thread: BVI, First Time
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2001

Mad_Dog is on a distinguished road
BVI, First Time

The BVIs are an excellent place to cruise. I have chartered with the Moorings several times out of Tortola.

If you got two weeks, you might want to go down to St. Croix. It is a reach usually and but can be a fairly rollie ride. The only area of causion is the reef entering the harbor. It can be tricky. Use your crusing guide to direct you in. Plan on staying two or three days.

I usually sail at around 0830 hours with one or two snorkeling stops. I strive to be at anchor or on a mooring ball by 1500 to 1600 hours. Alays have a Plan B in case the wind and crowed ancorages are a problem. I would follow a Moorings itintery for a two week trip as a first timer. Please send me your intinery and I will give you my insights.

Your choices depend on your crew: couples, all guys, all women, divers, non-dinvers, sight seeres, and shoppers. You need to have something different everyday and sometheing for everyone. I do a couples trip every other year to the BVIs and the follwowing are night stops I recommend: Bite off Norman Island, Little Harbor off Peter Island great sunset, Copper Island, Soper Hole great last night stop, Marina Cay great on a full moon, Bitter End just can not be beat. The Moorings will lead a group of boats over to Angonda. This is very much different than the other BVIs. You will have a great time there.

Good luck and contact me if you need any more information.

Mad Dog
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook