SailNet Community - View Single Post - Safety netting for children
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2003

Koene is on a distinguished road
Safety netting for children

prussell,

Whenever I read about what do with children on board, it never seemed to work for us. Legos and small toys seem to be the best since they can easily be taken along with you. We loved our unbrella stroller because we could take it everywhere. In fact, we wore it out. Had we known, we would have taken two. However, this may not be true for you.

I found traveling on a boat with children had some advantages. In many island countries, the local people enjoy children and it helps break the ice. It also softens many officals while you are doing paperwork. On the other side, it also limits your activities. You may not be able to go climbing up waterfalls, or join the late night cruiser get togethers. Also I found that other cruisers were either kid friendly, sort of grandma and grandpas. Or they were anti-kid, as in been there, done that-stay away.

We met the most children in the Bahamas. Then we did not see children for six months. Then kids for two months and then no kids six months. That was really hard when you only have one on board. Plus we did not follow the traditional cruising route that many families follow. We came back because socialization with other children was really needed for both him and myself.

I still debate whether it would have been better to go when he was older or younger. Both sides have their advantages. Since you do not know what tomorrow will bring, it is best to go today. Cindy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook