SailNet Community - View Single Post - Houston TX to Oriental NC. How to?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Budget is about $500 after boat is provisioned and ready to sail.

I know, I know, it is nothing... It was disastrous year for me with loss of a business.

I have two VHF, one is waterproof handheld. They are mostly for listening – English is my second language.

I have inflatable canoe as dingy.

I have hand held GPSs, all three of them . Charting software is on my laptop. Paper charts are up to Florida. I need to figure out how to print free charts, it’s on my “to do list”.

I have 406 EPIRB and 406 PLB, both are registered. Battery on EPIRB expired, but it should have some juice left.

There is no hours meter on an engine, (boat is 1979) however it works ok, I have had some issues with fuel supply which I solved I believe. I can always rig fuel "free flowing "set-up. I have spare filters, belts and water pump parts.
Bulge pumps, both electric and manual are checked. I replaced manual pump recently.

Anchors are on my “to do” list.

I have three anchors, two oversized, however all three are danforth type. My primary is Fortress FX16 – one size bigger than necessary. I have no problem with it, except for setting. It takes awhile normally. I have another steel one which is huge and heavy. I have never used it yet. It’s in my cockpit locker, rigged and ready to go overboard. I’m not sure I’ll be able to pull it back

All rodes are with 12 ft of chain. I have some loose chains in 12 ft long pieces and some more lines, so I can rig it when needed.

So, do you think I need plow type? I do think I need one; however the only one I can afford is Claw. Are they any good?

Life jackets for me and a dog are in order. As well as teter and harness. All lines lead to cockpit. Dog’s safety is an issue. He is energetic and likes to swim. I manage to keep him onboard so far.

Wood plugs are next to thru-hulls.

I guess I should stop procrastinate and just go…

By the way, what would be best trolling rig to catch a fish in these waters?

Regards
CR

Last edited by CrazyRu; 03-13-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook