SailNet Community - View Single Post - Houston TX to Oriental NC. How to?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The problem with Danforth-type anchors, including the Fortress, is that they have a lot of trouble resetting in a reversing current or changing wind situation. BTW, 12' of chain may be a problem for the Fortress, since they say something about having very limited amounts of chain on their anchors or they may not set properly.

Personally, I think you should sell one or two of the Danforths, keep the Fortress as a kedge anchor, and buy a Delta, Rocna, Manson Supreme, Spade or Buegel. These are all proven to have much better holding power and bottom penetration than "claw" type anchors. Also, claw type anchors tend to "hop and skip" once they get pulled out of the bottom, like in the case of a reversing current, and have a very difficult time resetting.

Wood plugs should be in plastic bags next to through hulls... not just next to them, and should have a hole through the thickest part and a small piece of line attached, so that you can tie them into place.

There's a post on this site where someone has converted many of the USA charts to PNG files and they can be printed easily from a PC with access to a large-format photo printer.

You should have a high-capacity manual bilge pump in the cabin and one in the cockpit... so you can pump out the boat from either location in an emergency.

You may want a tether and harness for the dog, to help keep him from doing something stupid and ending up in the water at the wrong time.

As for trolling rigs...get some heavy line, some steel leader, and some big lures...tube-bodies, jigs or plugs, and some 1/4" bungee cord. Rig the line in fairly long lengths with some good weight...troll behind boat with a section of bungee to absorb the shock of a strike... Check every once in a while. Wear gloves to haul the line in... Line should be 50 lb. test or better. I personally like FireLine... because it is very tough and thinner than regular monofilament, and damn near invisible to the fish.

Quote:
I have three anchors, two oversized, however all three are danforth type. My primary is Fortress FX16 – one size bigger than necessary. I have no problem with it, except for setting. It takes awhile normally. I have another steel one which is huge and heavy. I have never used it yet. It’s in my cockpit locker, rigged and ready to go overboard. I’m not sure I’ll be able to pull it back

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook