SailNet Community - View Single Post - St Maarten
Thread: St Maarten
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Just mention that the only snow any of the locals have ever seen has been stuck to the inside surfaces of freezers. I liked both the French and Dutch sides of St. Martin; I even sailed through heavy weather from the BVI in order to get a baguette and a real espresso (luckily we have no Italians here who could argue that their espresso is better).

The place is a tourist destination, so prices are accordingly high. I recall driving by an expat foreign school but think it was a French one, not an English one. There is nowhere on the island that could be considered "safe" for boats (or humans, for that matter) during a direct hit by a hurricane.
As part of the EU the typical import restrictions will be that you will have to pay the appropriate VAT if your boat is to remain in St. Martin for over a year, but a quick trip to another country (BVI/USVI) will usually reset the clock - you can get the exact details depending upon whether you stay in the Dutch or the French side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook