SailNet Community - View Single Post - The mystery of the Marine Environment
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
The mystery of the Marine Environment

Can one of you guru's tell me the difference between my house and all the non-marine environment stuff within that is feet from the water, and stuff in my boat, which is mostly fixed for the marine environment and feet from the water.

I live on the Chesapeake bay, prevailing wind is off the water, i.e., I, and my Sony TV etc. live in the same air as my boat does. I seldom take water over the bow and it never gets below decks. I don't blue water sail, the boat lives where I do.

Why all the preaching about marinizing? I've never lost a camera to salt air corrosion, my ipod does just fine year after year .I've seen outboard motors made for fresh water environments hold up better than some models of salt water motors with a simple fresh water flush after use.

Recent threads about portable gen's like the Honda not being made for the corrosive salt air just get in my craw. Besides the fact that I can buy and toss four of them for the cost on one 300 pound gorilla - does anyone really believe that a Honda generator that is taken to the boat on the occasional weekend for air conditioning is really going to corrode to a useless fireball causing lump of rust in one season? Facts and real useage indicate otherwise.

Done ranting, ignore this thread or not...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook