SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need help sailing singlehanded???
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Need help sailing singlehanded???

I don''y know how big a boat you are single-handing but I was very successful at single-handing my previous 28 footer by using a length of shock chord that I rigged accross the cockpit. I used a heavier shock chord (typically 5/16" and 3/8"). I would tie a permanent loop in each end that I could drop over cleats on both sides of the cockpit. When in place the shock chord was relatively tight. I would leave it in place the whole time that I was single-handing. When I needed to leave the tiller I would take two or three loops of shock chord around the end of the tiller. I was able to make fine adjustments by rotating the loops around the tiller a little bit one way or another. This worked well enough on my boat that I could single-hand under spinacker including jibing the pole, go to the head or make lunch (although I would typically hove to do the latter two items.)

That is about as easy and cheap a solution as I know of. Regular line does not work as well for this purpose.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook