SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recommendations on multiple purpose radar/plotter/GPS.
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Not mine on the electronics. Just be careful out there...that is a lightly built boat for going well offshore and around Hatteras. Make SURE you can get good offshore forecasts and don't miss any. We lose boats bigger and better than yours every year due to not being vigilant on the changing conditions off the Hatteras area but t sounds as if you are experienced and have some good help along for the ride. Suggest Dodge's guide to SE US inlets if you need to bail out somewhere along the way.
I disagree about the need for separate units BTW since neither the radar or the chartplotter is an essential navigation device. What is essential is your GPS, your paper charts and your eyeballs! I used a combo radar/plotter for 6 years of cruising from Maine to Grenada and found the combo to be much easier to use and understand than my prior stand alone radar without plotter. There is the additional expense as well to think about.
Anyway...good luck with it all and yell if we can help.