SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recommendations on multiple purpose radar/plotter/GPS.
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008

JohnnyReb is on a distinguished road
Not to hijack my own thread (is that possible?), but I am interested in the opinion of the Hunter 37 cutter as a lightly built boat. I owned a 1991 Hunter Legend 375 and would most certainly agree that it was not an offshore capable vessel. However, the 1984 Cherubini Hunter cutter is a very different boat. Heavier constructed with more substantial glass, etc.
In addition (and there is no way you could have known), this boat has been upgraded in some of the area most commonly viewed as weak points of the general production boats: thru hulls fittings upgraded, portholes installed in place of plastic pretend windows, etc.

It has been my experience that most boats can take much more punishment than the crew. Boats are lost when the crew is too exhausted or demoralized to care about survival. I have always found it interesting when a crew abandons ship and is picked up by the Coast Guard only to have the vessel found adrift days later....

If you feel the Hunter 37 is truly unsafe for this voyage...I would much rather hear it now than to prove you correct later!

Thanks
JR
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook