SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recommendations on multiple purpose radar/plotter/GPS.
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I have used (considerably) both combo & overlay units and the non-combo. The overlay is an excellent, excellent function. Your two options to have both up (radar and chart) are: Buy two seperate monitors or split the screen. SPlitting the screen reduces the functional size of both and two monitors requires room and cost.

Also, by putting either the chart or the radar on overlay you my realize or see things you might not have before. These may be buoys you thought were boats or likewise.

I personally use the Raymarine E80 system, with a 2kw radome. It is a considerable improvement over the older RL series. I have no problems with Garmin either, but prefer Raymarine (probably because I accustomed to it). The interface of that product to the other accesories is VERY easy, and you can do everything from radar, chart, XTE, color cameras, to watch movies (or so I am told... I have not done the last two - no interest).

You should just go to West Marine and play around with their models a bit and see which on e you prefer. I no longer feel one is better than the other. It all comes down to which one you like better. I will say that programming the Raymarine quick-push buttons for custom screens is a great plus and a lot easier than scrolling through the pages of the Garmin... but the Garmins may have that functio ntoo (just not the models I have used).

Regarding your boat choice, I have heard that the Cherubini Hunters were built better than the others, but have no first hand experience with that model. My experience with the others was not pleasant, so we will leave at that.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook