SailNet Community - View Single Post - Largest trailerable sailboat
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
Largest trailerable sailboat

Bayme, I had read somewhere that the widest beam that can be trailered without a permit is 8''6", but that''s been some time back and things may of changed. My Classic Yacht 26 has a 8''4" beam. As far as raising the stick, I''ve come up with a rather crude,but effective system to do the job using the winch on my trailer, and a A-frame made out of 1" pipe that is temporarily attached to the stanchions forward of the mast.The A-frame acts as a pivoting point to gain mechanical advantage while raising the mast with the winch. Two people can easily do the job without any heavy lifting.My boat can be launched from her trailer, but during my last trip to Key West, I had her lifted into the drink. The yard charged me $180 for the round trip.It was well worth the money not to have to deal with the hassle of launching and retrieving the boat. On the highway, I haul the boat using a Dodge Durango and have no problem safely going the speed limit, regardless what it is. Trailering a large boat isn''t for everyone, but for me it''s opened up a world of locations to sail that I might not have ever been able to do. My boat is very sea worthy and I have sailed her at many locations up and down the East coast, including a trip to the Bahamas, and Dry Tortugas.I live on the East Coast, but have been contemplating a West Coast trip for next year. I Hope this information has been some help. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook