SailNet Community - View Single Post - Small boat cooking
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2003

namaste04 is on a distinguished road
Small boat cooking

A few things we learned cruising on our 30-footer (she had a 2-burner Origo alcohol stove):

1) Magna Propane Grill on the stern rail!!!!!!! We cooked almost every dinner there.

2) Before you leave home for the weekend, "prep" some meals. I would chop up veggies for coleslaw or salad, put them in a ziplock bag, and make dressing in a jar to mix on board. I''d also put meat or chicken in ziplock bags with marinade and FREEZE them at home. I''d pre-chop anything messy I might need like onions or garlic. I would pre-make potato salad or pasta salad at home. Then when it was time to go sailing I would put it all in one of those soft-sided coolers, get a block of ice on the way to the boat, and load it all into the icebox (if you don''t have an icebox maybe bring along a real, hard-sided cooler and lash it below?). The meat/chicken would thaw slowly and be ready for grilling the next day (or that day if not kept right next to the ice). It made mealitimes super easy and we were still able to have really good, gourmet meals aboard. I would grill extra meat the first night and then for lunch the next day, chop it up and serve with the pasta salad leftovers. Yum. I rarely used the stove below, just for coffee/hot water in the morning and occasionally for rice or pasta or pancakes. Oh, and for heating wash-up water. You could do all this on a Magma Propane Grill, though: it has a holder for pots and pans.

3) Get an insulated pump-top thermos. We fill it with hot water each morning and then have it available for tea, cocoa, or "cuppa-soups" all day, as well as washing up.

4) Zip-lock bags rule on board. For leftovers, etc.

Have fun!
Stacey
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook