SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sewing Machine Ripoff
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008
Landlocked...for now

svSandDollar is on a distinguished road
Azura - I am *SO* sorry that happened to you. I use eBay often for purchases. Paypal should be able to help you, but the time limit may be past. I had to go through them a couple times to resolve stuff, took a long time though. As well - we have KP44 #153 (used to be Aurora), haven't been on the KP group much since the refit has slowed due to work, but still around. When I saw your sig I just wanted to say hi from one KP to another.

JohnRPollard - I just purchased the Sailrite LSZ-1 (blue one)... it arrived 2 days ago. I have been watching the videos and I am even more impressed now than when I purchased it. Solid metal (except wheel and knob covers, but those are automobile plastic - solid) parts, and HEAVY. I like the posi pin design and I can actually see how things work since everything is accessible underneath. When I ordered it all, I also got the CD collection and the 'Utrafeed Set-up & use' DVD and the 'Adv. Maintenance' DVD as well. When it shipped Sailrite sent me the usual email, but they also said they didn't send the two DVDs I ordered - they were included free with the new machine. It's a little thing, but I thought that was real nice of them. Saved me $40.

I have yet to sew anything on the machine though, since my sunbrella doesn't arrive until Tuesday (got it someplace else). But I am taking measurements and making plans so I can get started as soon as it arrives.

I had been using an old Husquvarna machine to make up some handrail covers for Sand Dollar. I did it to show my hubby I can actually sew, he heard rumors but never saw anything I had done. But since they turned out great, he let me get my new LSZ along with the 'loadit' option. I wanted this machine not only for the thick projects that my machine struggled with but to take with us on our future cruising plans.

I count at least 14 projects I want to do on Sea Monkey ranging from tiller cover to dodger. I am doing these as practice (esp. the dodger and bimini) for the projects I want to do on Sand Dollar. I was a bit overwhelmed at the thought of doing a dodger (I don't have an old one to copy), but I got the CD's and they look fairly straight forward. I would start with the simpler projects and work my way up to the more complex ones, but you should do just fine. By the time I'm all done, my hubby will have plenty of proof I can sew... still won't hem his pants though, too much work.

Lori

S/V Sand Dollar
KP44 - in the middle of a refit

S/V Sea Monkey
25' Santana that helps keep the sailing bug under control

Last edited by svSandDollar; 03-15-2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: can't spell...yup, I'm blonde
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook