SailNet Community - View Single Post - 81 Catalina 38 '' Sparkman Stevens
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2003

CAlbertson is on a distinguished road
81 Catalina 38 '''' Sparkman Stevens

The C38 (not the newer C380) was designed by S&S for Catalina. Catalina built a one design fleet of these boats for the Govenor''s cup race in Long Beach, CA and they also offered the C38 for sale to the public. They only built a couple hundred of these.

The boat was intended to be a true racer/cruiser. I own a Catalina C36 and know for a fact the C38 will leave me over the horizon in any kind of race. Here in So. Cal. there is still and active racing fleat of C38s.

Today if you want a "performance cruiser" at budget price anold C38 might be it. As built they lack all the neat features and equipment of today''s boats but water makers, chart plotters and refridgeration can be added by the new owner.

One good thing about the C38 vs. other Catalinas is that the C38 will likely have been raced and will come with a good sail inventory and a set of spinnackers. While most other Catalinas will come with only a roller furler headsail and a main.

I would expect the C38 to motor at about 6 knots.

But if you want to motor up and down a channel why are you looking at a sailboat? Get something with twin diesels.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook