SailNet Community - View Single Post - everyone - need keel solution
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2003

tho52mas is on a distinguished road
everyone - need keel solution

I have a problem. My boat -a 37'' Irwin Centerboard model circa 1976. The problem - the bilge leaks into the keep, which leaks onto the ground. In other words the boat was built with sand as the ballast and that was encapsulated, the bottom forming the bottom of the keel, the sides are the two outside sections of hull amd the inside is the two sides of the centerboard trunk, the top is the bottom of the bilge -- the encapsulation failed in three places...the bilge, the bottom and trunk area. WHat are my solutions. 1) is to sink the boat. 2) is to sell it cheap. 3) is to vaccuum out the sand from the inside, repair the keel area from the inside (difficult to do), refill the keel with dry sand, and pour in a new bilge floor. 4)just repair the bilge floor, let the holes stay in the trunk and bottom for drainage for the winter. 5)cut out the keel bottom, let the whole mess fall, clean it out, epoxy the bottom I took out, epoxy the inside of the boat, join the two, refill with sand and put in a new bilge floor (this is really another version of #3). 6)do #3 and instead of sand, use bricks of lead purposely made to fit snug, then pour in epoxy forming a huge, solid keel.
Question? Send me solutions. Thanks. Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook