SailNet Community - View Single Post - lazy jacks
Thread: lazy jacks
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2003

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
lazy jacks

I don''t have the Lazy Jack plans right in front of me, so forgive me if I leave anything out that may be important.

First, you''ll have to decide just how far up the mast the top line will be connected or drawn through a block. In my case, I''ll probably connect 1/4" line to eyes screwed into the mast on each side 25'' up. Those lines will be about 15'' in length, and on the end of each of line will be a single small block. I''ll likely put a continuous length of 1/4'' line through the blocks to form the inverted "V" on the boom. That line will about 50'' in total length, as it has to go up, down, and around the boom twice. I''ll probably install a hook (facing aft) about 3'' on the bottom and from the end of the boom. I''ll probably install an eye about 4'' from the front end of the boom on on each side of the boom. Lastly, I''ll probably install a cleat that will be used to keep the system taught when in use. When the system is not needed, I''ll just slacken the line on the cleat, and move it forward of the boom, then tighten it again, and sinch it up tight on the cleat. If I''ve left anything out, I''ll get additional hardware (like more hooks or cleats) as the need arises.

Anyway, so far the list of hardware is comprised of 4 eyes, 2 small single blocks, 1 small hook, and 1 medium cleat. Lastly, it looks like I''ll need about 80'' of 1/4" line. Based on this list, I estimate the total cost to be about $50.

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook