SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living on a mooring
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Ah this one is right up my alley.

I live aboard my Pearson on a mooring with my wife and 2 kids. Granted right now we are staying with my grandparents on land, we do still spend alot of time on the boats.

When we were living aboard, it was a bit tough. The marina won't allow anyone from the anchorage to use the showers, so it was either a solar shower on the boat or grab one at my grandparents(or sneak in to the marina and get a quick one). The kids love the boat, they sleep alot better out there. We have learned to cook without the use of a microwave or anything that runs on AC power. Our fridge is an icebox. That does get a little old after awile, but ive gotten used to hauling ice every 2 days.

As for power, we dont have an inboard so i have a 1400w Onan genny setting in the back of the cockpit behind the pedestal. Its noisy so it only gets run when we arnt there. The 12v system is decent and keeps enough power to run our lights and TV at night. We dont have pressure water, so there is a foot pump in the galley. I keep the water jugs in the skiff and fill them as needed. I dont use a normal dingy, ive got a 14' skiff with a 9.9 Johnson on it. We also have a smaller rowing dink with a 3hp motor on it.

Overall, we do enjoy living on the hook better than we enjoy marinas, but we do still visit the marina with the smaller boat for the weekends when we have the extra money. Our biggest perk to being on a mooring is there is no one to bother us. Marinas are full of drunks and loudmouths and we dont care for either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook