SailNet Community - View Single Post - lazy jacks
Thread: lazy jacks
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2003

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
lazy jacks

Now that I''m looking at my Lazy Jack plans I''ve revised the previous message to the one below.

First, you''ll have to decide just how far up the mast the top line will be connected or drawn through a block. In my case, I''ll probably connect 1/4" or 5/16" or perhaps 3/8" line to eyes screwed into the mast on each side about 25'' up. Each of those lines will be about 15'' in length, and on the end of each of line will be a single small block. I''ll likely put a continuous length of the line (probably the same size) through the blocks to form the inverted "V" on the boom. That line will be about 50'' in total length, as it has to go up, down, and around the boom. I''ll probably use a medium sized cleat for to hold fast the open ends of that line. That cleat will go onto the boom about 4'' from the aft end, but clear of the main sheet. I''ll install hooks (facing forward) on either side of the boom about 4'' from the front end of the boom, but clear of the boom-vang. When the system is not needed, I''ll just slacken the line on the rear cleat, and move the lines forward of the boom, then tighten it again, and sinch it up tight, probably on another cleat that I will install on the mast below the boom. If I''ve left anything out, I''ll get additional hardware (like more hooks or cleats) as the need arises.

Anyway, so far the list of hardware is comprised of 2 eyes, 2 small single blocks, 2 small hook, and 2 medium cleats. Lastly, it looks like I''ll need about 80'' of the line. Based on this list, I estimate the total cost to be about $50.

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook