SailNet Community - View Single Post - Question: Which backstay radar mount system?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008

thekeip is on a distinguished road
I've had my 24" Scitex with Questus gimbal mounted on Sea Quest (Ericson 35) for a bit over 7 years....on the backstay. I haven't had any problem with it in all that time, but that doesn't mean I'm exceptionally happy with it. Performance wise, the set up is doing everything it's supposed to. It's not all that heavy..the Questus weighs about as much as the antenna does, and I guess they total to about ~20# or thereabouts. The problem is that the height of the antenna is not so great that the presentation is not as good as it could be, and I know it. It irks me no end, and it gets worse as the angle of heel increases bringing the height from roughly 13' when upright to about 10' when heeled...gimbal or not. It's facing aft but looks forward so as not to interfere with my mainsail. If I were to do it over (and I just might), I'd get a new Furuno or Raymarine and put the antenna at the 1st spreader...20-25'. School's still out re the gimbal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radar mount.jpg (78.5 KB, 210 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook