SailNet Community - View Single Post - KISS? or ... why a wheel?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2003

jbarros is on a distinguished road
KISS? or ... why a wheel?

I get alot of ideas easily, some of which are stupid, mostly in the concept of KISS. I dont like anything on a boat to be more complex than it needs to be, because I''m mechanicly inept, and like to be able to fix things simply. but sometimes the ideas I hold are naieve, or based on incorrect information. Alot of you here have been responsible for my learning, and I thank you.

I liked skeg hung rudders for ease of mainenance, but found out that on some designs, they''re more effective if they''re towards the middle of the boat. Ok, I can deal with that.

I liked twin keels so the boat could rest in tidal''s, but found out how it affects sailing performance. Ok, I can deal with that.

my next question is tiller vs wheel. I like the simplicity of the tiller.I like that there''s very little inbetween to break, I like that it always gives you great feedback, but I still see people going to wheel stearing, in fact, I see alot of people doing it. I understand it on a larger boat, as the leverage you''d need for a tiller for a 50 would be rediculous, but on a 27? a 25?

other than the habit of it being like a car, what are the advantages of a wheel over tiller for small boats? What am I missing?

Thanks.

-- James
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook