SailNet Community - View Single Post - SSB radios
Thread: SSB radios
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Don,

Sorry, I certainly didn't mean to be condescending or to denegrate your experience. Truth is, we all have different life experiences which affect our outlook and belief system.

You, sir, made the declarative statement: "A vertical dipole has been around for ever and is nothing special in terms of it's radiation effectiveness or it's practical use aboard a boat."

My point is, respectfully, that this statement is erroneous, both in theory and in practice. Indeed, there is something special about vertical dipoles on boats. If you don't believe this, I suggest -- respectfully -- that you build a simple one for 20m, rig it on the foredeck with the lower insulator near the deck or lifelines, and give it a real try over a few weeks. I'll wager if you do that you'll be impressed with the signal reports you get and, if you switch rapidly between the backstay antenna and the vertical dipole, you'll get reports at the other end which will be as much as 2-3 S-units in favor of the dipole.

Again, my apologies if I sounded condescending. It wasn't my intention...just trying to inject a bit of humor.

Bill
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook