SailNet Community - View Single Post - single line reefing?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2003

tsenator is on a distinguished road
single line reefing?

Wow Denr, a thoughtful, insightful and informative post, devoid of smart "alecky" remarks and denigrations. I am amazed, good for you.

I tend to agree, I have a single line system and not 100% satisfied. But I have to admit the ability to put a reef in without leaving the cockpit is a wonderful thing, especially when single handling a boat. I have thought about a double line system brought back to the cockpit (one at clew and one the tack) But with two reef points that would mean two extra lines to route back to the cockpit with the attending clutches, etc, etc.

But at this point the convenience of never leaving the cockpit to reef far outweighs the negatives and stringing more lines might be a hassle.

I have seriously thought about putting blocks on the reef tacks, but I''m not sure what type and not sure how well they will work. But they have to help for the friction and hopefully if they are rigged and placed well they will reduce the wear and friction of the reef lines are now causing on my reefed mainsail.

Anybody done this? Any advise or pictures. I was looking at using these blocks

http://harkenstore.com/uniface.urd/scpdinw1.ShowProd?409Z56LC47D1A

with hi-tech line attachment -- they are Harken Carbo Air Blocks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook