SailNet Community - View Single Post - single line reefing?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
single line reefing?

Sorry, I missed the prior response to this question and so repeated a lot of what had already been said.

It sounds like I use a similar rig to George''s set up except that the rig that I have used for the tack has a line rigged through each reef tack cringle. As a single-hander I leave these rigged full time. The reef tack lines on my boats originate at the base of the mast, pass through a shackle at the gooseneck that keeps the dumb end of the line near the boom. The line then passes between the first slug and the boom and then back between the mast and the luff of the sail above the slug that is below the reefpoint in question. (On my current boat I have rigged a ''dogbone'' using ''D'' rings and webbing so the reef line does not have to pass between the mast and the luff of the sail above the slug that is below the reefpoint) It then passes through the reef cringle and then down to a block at the base of the mast which leads it aft to a line stopper (or camcleat on my earlier smaller boats) The halyard is marked for the proper reef point. To reef I ease the halyard to the mark, pull in the reef tackline, ease the vang, and then pull in the reef clew line. On my 38 footer this is less than a 30 second job and can be done on all points of sail and on the fly without leaving the cockpit. When I rework my deck plan next winter, I still need to rig another clew reefline for the second reef as I am using the intended second reef clew line for my flattening reef.

Regards
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook