SailNet Community - View Single Post - single line reefing?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2003

geohan is on a distinguished road
single line reefing?

tsenator: To answer your last question first, yes we have to go to the mast as the tackle is normally in the cunningham cringle and is then disconnected and transfered to the reef tack when it''s time to reef at about 15 knots of wind. The blocks are plastic bullet blocks with 1 1/2 inch sheaves. They are tear drop in shape. The line is 3/8 inch for ease of handling. The bail is between the cheeks and holds the top of the block together. The U shaped connector was home made by bending the rod around a piece of l 1/2 inch pipe. The angle between the legs is about 60 degrees. The eyes were formed around 1/2 inch bolts with much beating and squeezing in the vice. Nothing is critical in the shape. One could use snatch blocks with say a couple of chain lengths through the cringle. If this tack line and the clew tacking line were led aft and the sail slides up to the reef point were free to exit the track, cockpit reefing would be a possibility although we haven''t tried it. I''m sorry I''m not computer savy enough to attempt to send a sketch to this BB although I have managed to do it by e-mail.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook