SailNet Community - View Single Post - Provisioning for Bahamas
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2003

Quidam is on a distinguished road
Provisioning for Bahamas

First, don''t count on your fridge & freezer to function at all times; so, rely on Catgirl''s advice, plan to shop often for fresh foods. Secondly, bring as much canned veggies as you can expect to eat (why not?). You should be able to get fresh papaya, avocado, limes, green veggies, etc. for a very reasonable price (almost nothing) on Eleuthera this year because they had no major tropical storms last year, and this winters weather was good too. Their is a great farm at the northern end of Rock Sound. Hitch a ride there. You can buy a football-size avocado (best I''ve tasted)for about 75 cents. Also, Spanish Wells has a nice supermarket, similar to some in the USA. If you have trouble w/fridge you may have it repaired on Spanish Wells (no better marine fridge mech. in the world). I choose not to give an opinion on the Abacos because I feel they are merely an extension of Florida, very commercialized and too crowded for us. Better to check the current situation before relying on Exuma Mkt. (Georgetown). I heard an awful story about the status of the store. In fact, it might not be open at this time. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook