SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hunter 212 vs Catalina Capri 18
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008
Catalina 22 Hull #293

Fairwind900 is on a distinguished road
Hunter 212 Catalina

Hi,

I currently own a Catalina 22 and a Hunter 212. The Catalina is a 1970 boat and the 212 is a 2001. The Catalina 22 is a solid boat and so is the Hunter 212. I read all the reviews I could find on the Hunter and it seamed they had a problem with the tiller. I have not found it to be a problem. I have sailed the Hunter in 15mph wind with gust up to 25 and it was solid as a rock.

The cabin space inside the boat is different. The Catalina offers a nice table and sitting area with a bench next to it. The forward V birth has very little clearance and I would want to sleep on the 1/2 births or the table area instead.

The Hunter has more room inside the boat and more room in the cockpit. The V birth is comfortable and spacious for a 21' boat.

The biggest selling point for me was the open transom on the Hunter. It provides me with a swimming platform and easy access when beached.

I have used a 3.5 hp motor and a Mini Kota 55 electric motor for auxilary power. The 3.5 was more power than I needed for either boat, but it has the advantages of reserve power.

My Hunter was used by a sailing school before I bought it and they probably had a bunch of newbies on the boats. The tiller held up to all that. The maintenance on the Hunter is much less.

I still have both boats but will probably keep the Hunter longer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook