SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hobie Cat for NooB?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008

MisterGrumpy is on a distinguished road
Hobie Cat for NooB?

I got the chance to live out a life -long dream last summer and got a sailing lesson on a small lake in NH. THIS year I want to do "more". My wife is signing me up for community boating in Boston but I want my own boat. I am looking to spend cheep, cheep money. I know that in a year or three I want a 30'+ cruiser to go, well, anywhere I damn well please, but for now I just need to get the basics down.

Now, I'm a motorcyclist and I know in the bike world there are a lot of 600cc Ninja-type bikes for sale cheep because people buy them and scare the **** out of themselves because they are really racing bikes. Well, there are a lot of cheep Hobie Cats for sale around here.

So I looked on the net. I saw a LOT of pictures of cats up on one hull, soaking wet crew. WOW! Exciting! Thrilling! Racing! Those are not really words that I am looking for right now. Stable. Controllable. Fun. There, tose words are more like it.

My question is this: can a regular Hobie 16 be a good, stable learning boat or is it pretty much just for racing and showing off?

My follow up question is: how much are dry suits?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook