SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mariner 47
Thread: Mariner 47
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008

Catboatfan is on a distinguished road
Mariner 47 #1

Don't know if this thread is still active or of interest-I just joined-but here goes. My late Dad, Alfred Wolf, collaborated w/Ted Brewer on the design of the Mariner 47; as a result of a marketing agreement w/Mariner, he bought the first 47 at cost with the stipulation he show it up and down the east coast at shows. GALA V was ketch/cutter rigged, had an "in-line" three cabin layout w/aft cockpit, and was probably the finest cruising sailboat I've ever had the pleasure of sailing. To the best of my recollection, Mariner built 10 of them before going out of business; then my Dad leased the molds to Islander Yachts on the west coast (then a division of Fuqua Industries), who built six more. I never saw one of the Islanders, but have heard that they were not as substantially built as the Mariners. Ours was built like an icebreaker-the hull sections at the turn of the bilge were truly massive. This stood her in good stead when she was stolen from Galesville, Md. by two clowns intent on selling her into the drug trade; she was run hard aground off Milford Haven, Va. where the two stooges were arrested. Other than some cosmetic damage below (they stowed a motorcycle in the main cabin!), she was none the worse for wear. Being a "demonstrator," she had everything-including things which in my opinion do not belong on a serious cruising vessel, such as an electric range, air conditioning, etc. (and of course a genset to run it all). Power was provided by a Perkins 4-236 Diesel, a superior engine driving through a Hurth 2:1 gear. We owned GALA V from about 1980 or 81 until about 1990. I subsequently found out quite by accident (reading the brokerage page in a boating magazine) that she was for sale several years ago. She had been re-rigged as a cutter. The broker told me that she still had much of her original equipment and was in excellent condition. I now own GALA VI-a 18' Marshall catboat; if I were to consider a liveaboard-which I am toying with-a Mariner 47 would certainly be a top candidate!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook