SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buyer broker and Initial Bidding Strategy
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008

petegingras is on a distinguished road
Jody,

I’ve utilized a broker three times in the last 7 years. I bought and sold my original boat a 1976 27 Catalina on my own, Selling period was very short and buyers were numerous. I think it’s got something to do with the price range of the 27 Catalina, and it’s reputation or perhaps ubiquitous nature.

I fell in to the broker relationship at a boat show, and acknowledge it was somewhat of a trap, but I think it worked out to my benefit and the broker, not to me, would say it worked out to his benefit. My wife and I priced a brand new 33 in 2006, and were ready to purchase, when the broker, read tricked, asked why I wanted a new boat. He then produced two used 2005’s at the length of 35 that were cheaper and loaded with more than I priced on my new one. I can say that I was conscious of his bait and switch, but passed it off as his commission was greater on a used boat, which it was. He wasn’t the listing broker, but he later confirmed that he pocketed more of the sellers commission than he would have on the new boat.

Nevertheless, it used the same broker when selling that 2005 two years later. This time I bought the new boat, because of lack of inventory and foolish impatient childlike reactions to the late spring sale of the last boat.

I can tell that the broker placated certain inexperienced ideas I had, and other intangibles. Along the way we did become friends and I came to rely oh his thoughts.

I always felt comfortable with the surveyer.