SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buyer broker and Initial Bidding Strategy
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Thanks for the replies thus far....I think I will shy away from the buyer broker aspect for the time being and try the haggling aspect on my own. So, if I may redirect this to the other 2 points:
  • Have any of you negotiated a deal where you paid cash and did 1/2 on initial purchase and 1/2 60 days later?
  • How do you negotiate a price initially without survey on higher priced boats? Say you have one for 64K is it unreasonable to start at 45 or 50K as initial bid (Anyone with actual success on that approach?)
From what I can deduce is that most sellers expect a buyer to counter with at least 10% reduction of asking price as a bid. But then I am also researching boats interested in and the NADA value is usually 40-50% of the sellers asking price. I have also been doing price compares using the online sites like Yachtworld and even then - it reflects the same discrepancy NADA does (Although I find the more expensive the vessel or the more of them that are out there - the prices usually avg closely....)

I plan on looking at two boats on Wed, which I consider the top tier of what I am looking within the budget I have earmarked for this....So buying strategies welcome

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook