SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buyer broker and Initial Bidding Strategy
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
hmmmmm.

With what you just described, he was probably a co broker more than anything. But in all honesty, I do not know whom paid him, would assume the seller. Then in that sense, no matter whom you use, the broker is representing the seller as such, there would be no such thing as a buyers agent/broker! IMHO

As he made a statement the other day in an email. He did say, what I was trying to say, and another broker has said the same thing, If Jody does come to them first, saying not represented, negotiates, then tries to bring in another broker, that broker is SOL as far as splitting the commission!

i would assume if I hired "Wayne" to negotiate a price on aboat etc, he would assume and hope he would stick up for my needs, even tho, usually, the seller pays the commissions when it comes time to figure out prices etc.

Some of the folks as I say, used him to sell there boats, then he helped them buy from another brokerage! If I was buying say a boat on the east coast, I would prefer to use Wayne or equal to negotiate a visit etc, then he could also help me find local places to transport the boat to, to fit out etc. Even if this fee cost me something as a buyer to him, more than what would be normal commission. Let him spend and get paid to do what he knows best.

Not sure if I am answering the question, or not, but best as I can. The only other way to truly get an answer to this, is contact a potential broker, and see how they will work, hopefully for you!

marty