SailNet Community - View Single Post - Glassing Question
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2003

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
Glassing Question

As a wooden boat owner Iíve got to admit that the ratio between the time spent maintaining the boat and the time spent sailing the boat isnít what I had envisioned.

One project Iím up to my elbows in is replacing the canvas covering the cabin top and hatches. This is the second time Iíve had to do this job and I donít ever want to do it ever again. For this reason Iíve decided to use fiberglass instead of canvas. I got the idea from the owner of a beautiful Concordia who has done this to his cabin top.

The plan, which is well along, is to fair everything up and lay down a layer of 10 oz. cloth, stapled taut with S/S T50s then wetted out with polyester resin. Unfortunately Iím getting some mixed messages about part of this process. One tells me to bond the glass to the wood to keep moisture out another says to not allow the bond so that the wood can swell and contract without damaging the glass. Right now, Iím leaning towards using a mold release on the wood.

The weather here in the North East is calling for rain over the next few days so Iíve got some time to solve this question before the glass is laid down. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook