SailNet Community - View Single Post - Question: Which backstay radar mount system?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
I have a self leveling backstay mounted Questus that is the heavy duty version of thekeip's, and I have had no problems with it. The backstay goes through the thick walled 3" tube, and in my installation the bottom of the tube is fixed to a modified chain plate that the backstay attaches to. At the top of the tube the backstay goes through a centering piece in the tube, and the 24" radome sits aft of the backstay. There is little added weight or sway to the backstay because of the way the tube is mounted, and there are no additional holes in the cap rail. There is no chafing of the mainsail because the radome is aft facing, and the lower height of the radome lets me see objects lower and closer than if it was up on the mast. The GPS antenna is mounted slightly above the radome on a special bracket, and that gives the antenna an unobstructed view of the sky. I don't care as much about seeing something 10 or more miles out to the horizon, as much as I want to see objects much closer and lower in, especially in fog. I investigated a lot in how I wanted my radar setup, and I like the backstay setup better than on a pole or mast. That being said, the particular Questus I selected was the only backstay setup that I liked.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook