SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buyer broker and Initial Bidding Strategy
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008

southernsmoke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
If your vendor is selling the boat through a broker, ask the broker to provide you with a 12 month sales history of like and similar boats in your region. If they won't give you that, they are probably trying to get more than market value for it. I think that it's a good idea to open with as low a figure as you can without feeling embarassed. Do your research - look at what smilar boats are listed for on Yachtworld, etc. and then offer about 50 to 60% of that. In this market - you might even be able to offer 35% of asking...you never know until you try.

Don't ever buy a boat without a survey, and make sure that your sales contracts include the right to renegotiate your purchase price based on surveyor's report. If the broker won't co-operate - walk away.

Note: I have heard about honest brokers but have never encountered one.
Good advice. I'm in the market for a boat and I'm wary of getting ripped off. Is the boating market anything like the housing market?

35% seems low... would anyone actually accept that price? Like, I'm looking at a boat that is listed at 18k, which is over my budget. 35% of that price is $6300, does anyone have any experience getting a boat at such a price from a broker under normal circumstances?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook