SailNet Community - View Single Post - Glassing Question
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Glassing Question

Paul is right that Alan Vaitses'' book is way out of date. There are two problems with glassing the deck using polyester resin and counting on mechanical fastenings. First of all the glass needs to be thick enough to act as an independent structure rather than a simple sheathing and wearing surface, and second there is an area between the unattached fiberglass sheathing where moisture and air can exist which creates the perfect environment for rot to occur un abated. When I restored my folkboat in the 1970''s, the cockpit sole had been done that way by the previous owner only year or two before I bought the boat. By the time I bought the boat there was widespread rot not only in the original cedar sub decking but also in some new cypress planks that had been installed to replace some bad wood when the previous owner had glassed this deck. What ever you do you want the glass fully adhered and epoxy is the way to go on that.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook