SailNet Community - View Single Post - anchors
Thread: anchors
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2001

SHIMSHON is on a distinguished road
anchors

I HAVE HAD EXCELLENT EXPERIENCE WITH THE CQR IN JUST ABOUT ALL TYPES OF BOTTOM. I USE A 35lbCQR AS MY NORMAL ANCHOR AND HOLD A 45lb IN RESERVE. I DO USE AN ALL CHAIN RODE ON THESE ANCHORS SINCE MY BOAT GROSSES OUT AT 18 TONS. IN ADDITION I USE A FORTRESS AS A LUNCH HOOK AND AS A KEDGE. I HAVE 15ft OF 3/8ths CHAIN AND 300 FEET OF 3/4" NYLON ON THE FORTRESS. I HAVE USED THE FORTRESS IN THE INTER COASTAL AS A KEDGE AND AM ALWAYS AMAZED AT HOW QUICKLY IT SETS AND THE INCREDIBLE HOLDING POWER IT HAS. AT TIMES I HAVE HAD DIFFICULTY IN BREAKING IT OUT OF THE MUD ONCE FIRMLY SET. PRACTICAL SAILOR RAN A RECENT ARTICLE ON ANCHORS AND THEIR STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSESYOU MIGHT WANT TO GET A COPY. HOWEVER YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE AND THE TYPES OF BOTTOM YOU ARE NORMALLY EXPOSED TO WILL DICTATE THE TYPE OF ANCHOR YOU MAY WANT TO USE. I WOULD ALSO POINT OUT THAT ITS VERY RARE THAT YOU WOULD USE A 7:1 SCOPE. ITS NICE TO HAVE AN ADEQUATE AMOUNT OF RODE ON BOARD TO PROVIDE FOR THAT AMOUNT OF SCOPE IN YOUR NORMAL CRUISING AREAS BUT LACK OF SWING ROOM IS PROBALY GOING TO DICTATE THE AMOUNT OF SCOPE YOU USE. THATS WHY AN ALL CHAIN RODE,IF YOU CAN ACCOMODATE IT IS GREAT TO HAVE, LESS SCOPE REQUIRED FOR HOLDING POWER.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook