SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do YOU look for
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
What do YOU look for

I'm gonna take another stab at lookin' at a boat. This time The Admiral is going to join me. This one is a later model Pearson 36 that's been on the hard all winter.

I would like to know what YOU look for when viewing a boat for the first time. Comments and suggestions greatly appreciated!

First thing that I will check out is what the broker described as "some water leakage around the stanchions." This scares me, but assuming that that is OK, what else would you look for?

I intend to get a surveyor to go over this professionally, and more thouroughly, but I want to figure out if this is worth his time (and my money) before I engage one. (Right CP ) Also I assume that the sails and all lines will be stowed for the winter, so I will have the surveyor check them out if it goes that far.

Here is my current checklist:
  • Bottom Paint: (New / Smooth < > Old / Flaking off)
  • Topsides: (Smooth / Clean < > Crazed / Dirty)
  • Deck: (Solid / no soft spots / good nonskid)
  • Stanchions and Lifelines (New < Frayed Rusting)
  • Rigging (New < > Frayed Rusting)
  • Chainplates (Clean / Solid < > Rusting / Loose)
  • Dodger (Custom < > Mail Order)
  • Traveller (Condition and ease of use)
  • Bilge: (Clean / Dry < > Gross / Wet)
  • Batteries: Age and Brand
  • Through Hulls: Material (Bronze / Stainless / Marelon / Brass) Flanged or not)
  • Ground Tackle: Size and type of Anchor and Chain
  • Holding Tank and Waste Plumbing: Condition? Discharge valve?
  • General condition of interior: (Clean / Dry < > Gross / Wet)
  • Woodwork condition:
  • Galley - The Admiral will be the harshest critic here
  • Electronics - Based on a conversation with the broker I am not banking on anything being there, and will factor this into any offer.

What am I forgetting?

Thanks!!!

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook