SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buyer broker and Initial Bidding Strategy
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Thanks again everyone - I utilized a majority of the advice here today. Placed a reasonable bid on what I believe is a suitable boat for me. I did a thorough inspection, asked lots of questions in terms of the boat, the owner, history etc... as well as in general got to know the broker. And instead of quibbling over things - I made a very reasonable offer with very few contingencies based on my observations and the discussions, and what needed to be done (it is a slight project boat).

I had explained my findings as I was examining the boat the issues as I saw them, and we discussed the already known issues, and I let the broker know what my straight up thoughts and strategy was. I also let the broker understand how I approach a deal and had the contract reflect that (Which meant instead of earnest money - the contract dates reflect 2 weeks to sign, seal, and deliver if the contingencies are met. I'll write more in detail later as I do not want to jinx but based on the invaluable advice here - I was much more informed on what to expect, as well as how to handle the first stage of negotiations and tailored my conversations with the broker in a manner that would / will curtail a long winded process....

Again thanks everyone - as usual, awesome discussion and advice....I'll update at a later date - keep your fingers crossed for me

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook