SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard under attack by marina
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Art-

Considering that the guy basically didn't give any relevant information IMHO... he didn't say whether he had a signed contract regarding paying month-to-month, didn't say whether he had any contract whatsoever for that matter...

Basically, unless he has a written, signed contract... the doesn't have much of a case. The marina is well within its rights to ask for pre-payment. There are so many boats that have been abandoned in marinas, that the marinas have to jump through hoops to get the right to get rid of... I don't blame them for wanting to ensure that they've at least covered for a given period of time.

He's been at the marina for 10 years and live-aboard for the last 3.5 years...he calls the people who bought the marina the NEW MANAGEMENT... owning it for the past three years, no longer qualifies them as NEW IMHO. He's been dealing with them for three years, so how can they be NEW???? He doesn't say whether he's been paying on time or not. If he's been late more than once, there's a good reason for the marina to want to get three-months of rent at a time... it cuts the amount of time they have to chase him down for late slip payments by two thirds... they only have to do it four times a year as opposed to twelve.

When he doesn't give us the marina's side of the situation, and he doesn't give us the all the actual facts of the case—exactly how are we supposed to give him any advice or tell him whether he's got any rights or not???

All he's doing is whining.... and not for very good reason IMHO. His marina rates are exceptionally cheap for a full-time liveaboard. In my area, non-liveaboard marina rates are usually $100/ft. or more for a six-month season. He doesn't even say what size boat he's on... if he's on anything larger than 30'.... he's got a bargain-basement rate for his liveaboard slip and should STFU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theartfuldodger View Post
I guess the fellow feels frustrated with the way the marina informed him on such a quick notice, as for that I'm on his side. I can't help but wonder if he was just looking for some info on his rights, with respect to renting where he is. I think he was reaching out for help, from people he thought would have some constructive info, boy was he wrong.
Quote:
Iv'e lived on my sailboat for 3.5 years straight this time and seen this marina change ownersship three years ago. New rules/ regs.
Now with new management I recieved a letter saying the marina no longer allows monthley rent payments and only quarterley, semi-annually or yearley.

This letter was received on 3-24-08 enclosed is a bill for the next three months with a due date of 4-1-08. One weeks notice to pay three months in advance ( its for slip rent and liveaboard fee) $774.00.

Ive been here for 10 years and what gives these people the right to jack me around like this.

I need to know what my options are. Im tired of being a doormat.

N 37 16'02".18 W 76 25'21"70

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook