SailNet Community - View Single Post - what is slab reefing
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2003

maxcontax is on a distinguished road
what is slab reefing

If your boom has a topping lift, you slab reef: you set the tack reef point at the mast first, the clew reef point at the aft end of the boom second, and then tidyup with the reef ties along the foot of the reefed sail.
My C-22 does not have a topping lift so I do something that I call Jiffy-reefing. (I may be using the term incorrectly--but here is my procedure): When hove to, I release the boomvang. Then I set the clew reefpoint FIRST which raises the aft end of the boom. I set the tack reefpoint Second--note this is reverse order to Slab reefing--which brings the boom parallel to the decks again. And tidy up. If you don''t do it in this order, the boom falls into the cockpit when you release the halyard. Then you have to raise it back on the strength of the clew reefing line blocks which causes all sorts of problems,gets hung up in the hatchway etc. etc...not sure this is correct terminology, but the technique works. Harden up the boomvang after the reef is in.
This is "little boat reefing"--I did it on my Wayfarer 16 often. The C-22 is no different.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook